Saturday, January 1, 2011

I don't hate everything.

Penguins. Because they are beautiful and adorable, incredibly tough, and adaptable (various species are indigenous to a variety of climates).

Rats. Because they are smart, curious, and sooo cute.

My new lab. I had almost forgotten that not every PI treated the whole lab like shit. It is such a relief to work with people who understand that as a student, I'm in training, so I have questions and will make mistakes. It feels wonderful to be the new kid, because I'm not expected to know everything. It's nice that my new mentor trusts me to work and study outside the lab. I love that she told me she has no problem if I come in at 11 a.m. after I exercise if that's what helps me have energy and focus. I am so happy to study with a PI who treats me like a human, not a data machine.

Alejandro. Who bought me an iPad for Christmas so that I could carry around hundreds of annotated papers, even though I didn't ask for it. (The app is iAnnotate PDF.) I adore the iPad, of course, but the best part of this whole situation was that he gave me a useful present to help me be more efficient and environmentally friendly, even though I've never complained to him about either issue.

My mom. For so many reasons. But especially because she encourages me to live the life I want.

My cat, even though she just walked across my iPad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment