Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Baybees

One of the front-page articles in the Xmas-Day edition of our local paper was about Christmas babies. Here are some of the highlights, along with my super-clever responses. (To save time, I won't start each comment with 'WTF?!' You can just assume it applies.)

The subheading is, "For those born on Dec. 25, birthdays often become afterthoughts for family and friends during the holiday turmoil."

Most people's birthdays are not of utmost importance to their friends and family, especially once the Birthday Boy or Girl reaches adulthood, as each of the people interviewed in the article have. It is confusing and painful, but usually family and friends have concerns and obligations that don't center around making you feel special.

"Christmas babies like Jennifer X soon learn they will generally play second fiddle to baby Jesus on Dec. 25."

Ouch! I can hardly imagine how devastating it must be to learn that you're not the most important individual on earth, even on your birthday! And to have some imbeciles treat you as any less important than someone worshipped by millions of people around the world must be especially agonizing.

"Adds Ms. X, 'The core family - my parents, my sister, my husband, my best friends - they always remember. It's on the outside that you get shorted, like at work. People are so busy that it often does get forgotten.'"

I suffer the same problem (though I was born in July, but whatever). Of course my family and close friends wish me a happy birthday, but not once have I been given a card or gift or even verbal birthday wishes by the janitor, the librarian, the girl at the checkout, the mail carrier...The list of uncaring, self-absorbed people just goes on and on!

"The thing that may bug Christmas babies the most is that birthday present wrapped in Frosty the Snowman paper. 'Please spend the $2.99 for birthday wrap,' Ms. X said. 'Your birthday wrap doesn't have Santa on it, and we would prefer ours didn't either.' [...] Many may take proportionate revenge at a later date. 'I always told my sister,' X said, 'if you give me a birthday present wrapped in Christmas paper, I guarantee that on your birthday, your gift will come wrapped in Christmas paper.'"

...cuz really, it's not the thought that counts. It's making sure that your stupid present has the correct wrapping. Hey, you know what I could do to bug this entitled bitch even more than wrapping her present in Xmas paper?

I'd save my $2.99 plus whatever the present would have cost, and just not get her anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment