Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm a Grumpy Greta

I should've blogged about this when it happened a couple days ago, so it wouldn't look like I was just being all "Me too!" about this post on STFUParents.

Earlier this week I went for a run around 8 a.m. before going into work. I don't often run first thing in the morning, but I wanted to get it over with, and I knew it would help me focus in lab. Because of the time, I had the trail almost to myself, and people were just starting to arrive at the park near the hospital as I was returning. As I approached the pond, I noticed that a woman was sitting on the park bench beside the trail, a child on either side.

As I got closer, the children start shouting, "Good morning! Good morning!" which barely made a dent on my consciousness. I was deep in thought/daydreaming, first of all, and second, at that point I was not the only other person around, so I didn't assume that they were talking to screeching at me. So I just kept running, and kept my eyes on the trail. When I was almost in front of the bench, the little boy jumped out and yelled, "I said, Good morning!!!!" at which point it occured to me that they'd been addressing me. Of course, since the kid had just suddenly lurched at me while screaming, I darted to the opposite side of the path and kept going.

As I jogged away, I overheard this exchange:

"She sure is grumpy, mom!"
"Yeah...must be..."

And your know, they're right. Only a grumpy person would not be paying attention to strangers (because what the fuck else would you possibly have on your mind?!*), assume that a random kid at a park was yelling at her in particular (because you know kids never yell just for the fun of it), and stop to exchange pleasantries (because what better use could you possibly make of your time?)!

*Here's a sampling:
Why is it that my bladder is bursting but I'm still so fucking thirsty?!
I wish I had brought more tissues!
Yuck, the air reeks of chocolate and manure.
I hope I didn't drop my key along the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment